“Trees Are Terrific in Every Shape and Size!“
- Indiana Arbor Day Poster Contest Checklist & Registration Form
- Indiana Arbor Day Poster Contest Lesson Plans
- Drawing Basic Trees A simple guide on drawing basic trees to help those who need it to build confidence and participate in the contest. We believe in you! You can do this!
- Native Trees of Indiana: Sandy loves trees and she’s made a list of the diverse native tree species in Indiana with fun facts, such as type, mature height, fall color, etc., plus additional resource links including our USDA Plant Hardiness Zones Maps for Indiana and counties.
- Indiana Arbor Day: Resource page provided by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) which includes video instructions on planting trees, an Arbor Day Teacher’s Guide and more!
- Project Learning Tree: This site offers lesson plans and activities for all ages that can be easily incorporated into existing curriculum or used in informal settings. Checkout the STEM: Tree Life Cycle activity.
- Teachers’ Guide to Arbor Month: include activities on trees and the natural world for Grades K-8.
- How to Plant a Tree links of educational videos and publications by Lindsey Purcell (Urban Forest Specialist at Purdue Extension) and also see How To Properly Plant A Tree video by Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
- The Morton Arboretum: Resources for Educators including Arbor Day in the Classroom and Vanishing Acts Teacher’s Guide. Also check out Urban Forestry Laboratory Exercises, a publication developed by the Morton Arboretum in cooperation with the USDA Forest Service North Central Forest Experiment Station and the Natural Resources Conservation Education Program.
- I-Tree Lessons: Use the tools urban foresters are using around the world to calculate the benefits of community trees with developed lesson plans that are standards based.
- The American Public Gardens Association: Be a Plant Hero! Detect and combat bugs and diseases that harm plants and ecosystem health. Lots of puzzles, games and comics!
- Urban Tree Care: From The Education Store of Purdue Extension you can download many fact sheets with helpful advice concerning challenges in caring for and maintaining trees in our urban environment. (Related link: Pest Management – Flower, Tree, Ornamental Pests)
- Hardwood Lumber & Veneer Series: Also from The Education Store of Purdue Extension you can download free fact sheets containing details of several important tree species used for wood products, including color & texture characteristics, commercial use, grading and value.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: Building greener cities: nine benefits of urban trees.
Be sure to check out the other helpful links found on our Teacher and Parent Resources page!