WELCOME, ARBOR RANGERS ™!
The Arbor Rangers ™ are a group of kids who LOVE trees and recognize their value in our communities. As young foresters of urban nature they stand ready to protect & defend our natural resources and invite you to share in their adventures!
The Arbor Rangers ™ educational outreach program is supported primarily by the arborist services* performed for clients by Jeff Harris and his associates (Arbor Rangers, LLC).
*Arborist service clients: Please use the CLIENT SUPPORT link in the CONTACT US menu.
What’s Up for 2016?
- August 10: Indiana Urban Forest Council (IUFC) Urban Forestry Awards Nominations are due by August 10. Awards are made in five categories. Each of the categories is explained in the Awards Program Guidelines. These categories were selected to make the competition between similar entities more equitable and more representative for all the participants. The awards are presented at the Annual IUFC Conference on October 12th, which has been held each fall since 1991.
- August 11 & 12: TREE STEWARD TRAINING in Johnson County (Click link for details and how to register. Early-bird registration ($30.00) ends on August 4th.)
- August 13 – 17: International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Annual International Conference & Trade Show in Fort Worth, Texas. Registration options here.
- August 25: 48th Annual Indiana Arborist Association (IAA) Golf Outing in Muncie, IN. (Click link for details on how to register. Space is limited and filling up, but there is room for a few more teams.) The event raises money for the TREE fund which provides funds for tree research in urban forestry and arboriculture.
- August 26: Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) Course and Exam in Indianapolis, IN registration deadline. (Click link for more details on registration.) Registration is limited to 20 participants and the registration deadline is August 26th. The Tree Risk Assessment Qualification Course is a two-day educational course followed by a 1/2 day assessment that includes both a written and field component. The course prepares the participant to take the TRAQ assessment to become ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified. It is required that you attend the course and successfully complete the assessment in order to receive the ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification. Workshop dates: September 27 – 29
- October 11 & 12: IUFC Fall Pre-Conference and Conference (Save the dates! More details to be announced!)
- Hoosier ReLeaf‘s “Soil-to-Soil” Event held on Monday, April 25, 2016 in Fort Wayne, IN provided fun information on conservation, ecology, trees and appreciating our natural resources and featured special guest, Tim Womick the Modern Day Johnny Appleseed!
Dr. I.C. Coldwater
We also got a chance to meet and befriend Dr. I.C. Coldwater (a.k.a. Matt Jones, Water Resource Education Specialist) who conducts on-site presentations and utilizes outreach tools on water quality and conservation measures at local festivals and fairs. He is a trained facilitator for Project WET of the Allen County Partnership for Water Quality and has developed the character “Dr. I.C. Coldwater” to further promote the importance of water quality and conservation measures for our youth. Check out his video and, to schedule a presentation or tour, please go to his page here!
1st Place State Winner, Victoria Grant, and her Art Teacher, Katy Lewis, of Western Intermediate School (Russiaville, IN)
2016 IUFC Arbor Day Poster Contest 1st Place Winner
2nd Place Winner, Marissa Giles, and her Teacher, Lisa Schlegel, of Childs Elementary (Bloomington, IN)
2016 IUFC Arbor
Day Poster Contest 2nd Place Winner
3rd Place Winner, Karlee Reedy, and her Teacher, Melissa Newman, of Meadows Elementary (Terre Haute, IN)!
2016 IUFC Arbor Day Poster Contest 3rd Place Winner
Thank you to every student that participated for a job well done! Keep growing in knowledge and appreciation for these fascinating plants… our trees!
Arbor Rangers™ logo
Arbor Rangers™ round logo
Sandy Beech of the Arbor Rangers™
Jeff Harris demonstrates planting a tree for students of St. Louis School in Batesville, IN
A newly emerged Annual Cicada spreads its wings on a Maple branch
Madison Fulton Wins 3rd Place
Teacher Jane Brack and Jeff Harris recognize the artwork of shy Madison Fulton of St. Lawrence School in Lawrenceburg, IN who won 3rd Place in the 2012 Arbor Day Poster Contest
Madison Fulton 3rd Place Winning Poster
3RD PLACE: Madison Fulton (Teacher: Jane Brack) St. Lawrence School, Lawrenceburg, IN
A sneaky Raccoon hides behind a counter in the garage looking for an opportunity to escape
Jose Moreno of the Arbor Rangers™
Jaira Harris assists with a tree presentation held at a daycare in Indianapolis, IN
Giant Click Beetle
A giant Click Beetle measuring nearly 2" long was found clinging to a rotting tree
Jeff with Osighe
Jeff Harris with Osighe Akpeokhai at an art show where his winning poster is recognized before students by his teacher, Laura Salee, at Andrew J. Brown Academy in Indianapolis, IN
Osighe Akpeokhai's Winning 2014 1st Place Poster
1ST PLACE: Osighe Akpeokhai (Teacher: Laura Salee) Andrew J. Brown Academy, Indianapolis, IN
Yellow Jackets feed on a fallen apple that smells of souring cider
Zaire Manning of the Arbor Rangers™
Bird's nest in Blue Spruce shrub
Emily Koch Wins 2nd Place
Emily Koch and her teacher, Beth Emsweller, win 2nd Place in the 2012 Arbor Day Poster Contest and plant a tree with Jeff Harris on school grounds to celebrate at St. Louis School in Batesville, IN
Emily Koch's 2014 2nd Place Winning Poster
2ND PLACE: Emily Koch (Teacher: Beth Emsweller) St. Louis School, Batesville, IN
Honey Locust tree thorns
Clive Jones of the Arbor Rangers™
Jeff Harris demonstrates tree trunk nutrient injections at a daycare on the southside of Indianapolis, IN
A Praying Mantis dines on a Cricket
Kyle Bickel Wins 1st Place
Kyle Bickel and his teacher, Susan Lombard, of Highland Elementary School in Evansville, IN were 1st Place winners of the 2012 Arbor Day Poster Contest
2012 1st Place Winner Kyle Bickel
1ST PLACE: Kyle Bickel (Teacher: Susan Lombard) Highland Elementary School, Evansville, IN
Large Tree Conk
A large fungal tree conk grows out of a rotting tree
Keiko Fukiage of the Arbor Rangers™
Jeff Harris Receives an Award
Jeff Harris receives the "Outstanding Individual of the Year" Award at the 2014 IUFC Fall Conference
A Nurse Spider crawls through some fall leaves in a wooded area
1st Place Runner-up: Paige Jones and her teacher Lydia Weber
1st Place Runner-up: Paige Jones and her teacher Lydia Weber of Lincoln Elementary School in Bedford, IN
Paige Jones' 2014 1st Runner-up Poster
1st Runner-up: Paige Jones (Teacher: Lydia Weber) Lincoln Elementary School, Bedford, IN
Donny Phillips of the Arbor Rangers™
Jaira and the Corn Snake
Jaira holds a Corn Snake at the 2015 IUFC Winter Conference at the Hayes Arboretum in Richmond, IN
Leaf illustration showing veins on its surface
Happy Arbor Day!
The Arbor Rangers™ celebrate Arbor Day on the last Friday in the month of April in Indiana.
Quince Rust of Hawthorn
Quince Rust infecting fruit of a Hawthorn tree
Lindsey and Tom
Lindsey Purcell and Tom Ordway, who are part of the Arbor Rangers™ storyline and marketing Creative Team
A tiny Vole slightly larger than the tip of an adult index finger emerges from a nearby hole to nibble on some seeds.
Nipple Galls on Hackberry Leaves
Nipple Galls on Hackberry leaves
Don't Move Firewood logo
Don't Move Firewood logo
A tree splits and falls onto a house during a bad storm
3rd Runner-up: Breanna Cory
3rd Runner-up: Breanna Cory (Teacher: Danielle Eccles) North White Elementary School, Monon, IN
Jaira and Kristopher
Jaira and Kristopher Harris help on a landscape project
Clive Jones' pet mantid, Mickey
Arbor Rangers™ Mugs
A new shipment of Arbor Rangers™ mugs arrive
Keiko Enjoys an Apple
Keiko Fukiage enjoys eating an apple. She is one of the Arbor Rangers™
Like big kids, a group of conference attendees put on ALB antennaes
Leaf Cross-section Illustration
A leaf cross-section illustration
Golf Ball-size Hail Stone
One of many golf ball-size hail stones that damaged cars, roofs, and plants during a thunderstorm
Karma and Jaira
Karma and Jaira Harris help at an art show awards program for an Arbor Day Poster Contest winner in Indianapolis, IN
Arbor Rangers ™ has a NEW logo for its new “BRAINY Series” under “Kids Learn About…” The new “brainy” series will be all about puzzles that include mazes, word searches, crosswords, rebuses, etc. that are designed to make you THINK about trees!
The NEW Arbor Rangers™ “Brainy Series” Logo
Arbor Rangers™ Comic Book is under production. See how the cover pictured below was created here. Click on the cover image below for a larger view.
The final cover design of the new Arbor Rangers™ comic book.
Arbor Rangers ™ “Adventures in Arboriculture” Activities Book is still underway, as our Creative Team puts together more puzzles, mazes, games, and all sorts of fun activities for Arbor Rangers™ everywhere!
Arbor Rangers ™ is on Facebook!
Please show your support and “Like” the Arbor Rangers™ on Facebook! Thanks!
Videos on the Web About Trees!