WELCOME, ARBOR RANGERS ™!
The Arbor Rangers ™ are a group of kids who LOVE trees and recognize their value in our communities. As young foresters of urban nature they stand ready to protect & defend our natural resources and invite you to share in their adventures!
The Arbor Rangers ™ educational outreach program is supported primarily by the arborist services* performed for Indianapolis, IN area clients by Jeff Harris and his associates (Arbor Rangers, LLC).
*Arborist service clients: Please use the CLIENT SUPPORT link in the CONTACT US menu.
What’s Up for 2016?
- September 27 – 29: Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) Course and Exam in Indianapolis, IN registration deadline. (Click link for more details on registration.) Registration is limited to 20 participants and the registration deadline is August 26th. The Tree Risk Assessment Qualification Course is a two-day educational course followed by a 1/2 day assessment that includes both a written and field component. The course prepares the participant to take the TRAQ assessment to become ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualified. It is required that you attend the course and successfully complete the assessment in order to receive the ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification. Registration deadline was August 26th.
- October 9 – 15: STIHL Tour des Trees is an annual cycling adventure benefiting the TREE Fund, an international charity devoted to sustaining the world’s urban trees through research and education. (For this year’s event details and how you can support this event, click the link.) STIHL Tour des Trees is the primary community outreach and engagement event for the TREE Fund, combining great cycling, environmental education, and outreach in a weeklong celebration of urban trees. 100 cyclists with a shared passion for trees will arrive in Charlotte, NC, this October and will visit dozens of communities where they plant trees, educate children, engage with local tree stewards and promote the mission of the TREE Fund.
- October 11 & 12: IUFC Fall Pre-Conference and Conference at the Indianapolis Zoo in the Hulman Riverhouse. Enjoy a Pre-Conference hands-on service learning project on Tuesday, followed by a volunteer appreciation picnic. And then on Wednesday (Conference Day) get ready for an amazing set of talks and a behind the scenes tour! CEU’s for ISA Arborists (4 credits available) and ASLA Landscape Architects. (Click link for more details on registration.)
Did we miss listing an upcoming arboricultural, urban forestry, or other related tree-industry event?
Let us know HERE and Thank You!
- IAA Tree Climbing Competition at Southeastway Park in New Palestine, IN September 9 & 10. Winner will represent Indiana at the ISA International Tree Climbing Competition. A total of 3 CEUs was available for all competitors and Judges.
- 48th Annual Indiana Arborist Association (IAA) Golf Outing in Muncie, IN. The event which took place on August 25th raised money for the TREE fund which provides funds for tree research in urban forestry and arboriculture.
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Annual International Conference & Trade Show was held in Fort Worth, TX on August 13 – 17.
- Tree Steward Training was given on August 11 & 12 at Johnson County Park in Edinburgh, IN.
- Hoosier ReLeaf‘s “Soil-to-Soil” Event held on Monday, April 25, 2016 in Fort Wayne, IN provided fun information on conservation, ecology, trees and appreciating our natural resources and featured special guest, Tim Womick the Modern Day Johnny Appleseed!
We also got a chance to meet and befriend Dr. I.C. Coldwater (a.k.a. Matt Jones, Water Resource Education Specialist) who conducts on-site presentations and utilizes outreach tools on water quality and conservation measures at local festivals and fairs. He is a trained facilitator for Project WET of the Allen County Partnership for Water Quality and has developed the character “Dr. I.C. Coldwater” to further promote the importance of water quality and conservation measures for our youth. Check out his video and, to schedule a presentation or tour, please go to his page here!
- Indiana Urban Forest Council Arbor Day Poster Contest for Fifth Graders has announced and awarded its 2016 State Winners!
1st Place State Winner, Victoria Grant, and her Art Teacher, Katy Lewis, of Western Intermediate School (Russiaville, IN)
2nd Place Winner, Marissa Giles, and her Teacher, Lisa Schlegel, of Childs Elementary (Bloomington, IN)
3rd Place Winner, Karlee Reedy, and her Teacher, Melissa Newman, of Meadows Elementary (Terre Haute, IN)!
Thank you to every student that participated for a job well done! Keep growing in knowledge and appreciation for these fascinating plants… our trees!
Arbor Rangers ™ has a NEW logo for its new “BRAINY Series” under “Kids Learn About…” The new “brainy” series will be all about puzzles that include mazes, word searches, crosswords, rebuses, etc. that are designed to make you THINK about trees!
Arbor Rangers ™ “Adventures in Arboriculture” Activities Book is still underway, as our Creative Team puts together more puzzles, mazes, games, and all sorts of fun activities for Arbor Rangers™ everywhere!
Arbor Rangers ™ is on Facebook!
Please show your support and “Like” the Arbor Rangers™ on Facebook! Thanks!